- 60 ml (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (540 ml/19 oz) lentils, drained
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) vegetable broth (or cold water)
- Pinch of all-spice
- 5 ml (1 tsp) fine salt
- In a large saucepan over high heat, combine all the ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and let simmer 20 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, then crush lentils to a purée with a potato masher.
- Transfer spread to an airtight container and chill several hours in the refrigerator.
- Serve with pita bread and raw vegetables.