- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) maple syrup
- 1 – 450 g (1 lb) vacuum pack of gnocchi
- 500 ml (2 cups) homemade or store-bought tomato sauce
- Salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Basil leaves, chopped, to taste
- Parmesan, grated or flakes, to taste
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and garlic for a few seconds. Add maple syrup and gnocchi, reduce heat, and caramelize for 5 minutes or until gnocchi is crisp and golden. Stir often to ensure all sides are nicely caramelized.
- Add the tomato sauce and cook 5 minutes while stirring.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with basil leaves and garnish with Parmesan, if desired.