For the dough:
- 2 cups refined flour
- 1 cup clarified butter
For the filling:
- 1 cup khoya
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp green cardamom – powdered
- 1 Tbsp almonds – finely chopped
- Ghee for deep-frying
For the syrup:
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- Rub 1/4 cup ghee into the flour and knead into a stiff dough with water. Leave to rest for at least half an hour.
- In a pan, saute the khoya over medium heat till it looks slightly fried.
- Take off the heat and when it cools, mix in the maple syrup, cardamom and almonds.
- Shape the filling into ovals about 21 cm length and 1 cm thickness.
- Make balls of the dough and roll out into 1 cm / 1/8 in thick rounds.
- Make a design by pinching and twisting all along the sealed edges.
- Heat the ghee and add as many gujiyas fit in comfortably.
- Turn them over and lower the heat to medium. Fry till golden brown on all sides.
- Reduce maple syrup to a thick consistency and dip the gujiya in it.
- Let it rest for a couple of minutes before you serve it.
These recipes are brought to you by Maple from Canada. This holiday season, we are celebrating with desserts from all over India in our Maple Mithai Box, made using 100% pure maple syrup. Click here and travel the country with us as we infuse pure maple syrup into your favourite regional desserts!