- 280g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp allspice
- 110g butter, softened
- 100g maple sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp cream of tartar
- 125ml milk
- 2 apples, cored and chopped
- 8 large apricots, halved and pitted
- 100ml water
- 200ml pure maple syrup
- preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan.
- Grease and line cake tin.
- Sieve our, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg.
- Combine butter, maple sugar, maple syrup, eggs and cream of tartar.
- Gradually mix in our mixture, stir in milk.
- Fold in chopped apple. Pour into prepared cake tin.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- Cool and leave to one side.
- combine water and maple syrup.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 2 minutes, until mixture bubbles.
- Add apricots and cook for 2-3 minutes in the syrup. Set aside to cool.
- Serve apricot confit with the cake.
- Fresh peaches can be used instead as a summer alternative.
During the winter, dried fruit confit is a good substitute for fresh apricots. Add a dollop of clotted cream and drizzle with maple.